Getting a decently paid gig can be a surprisingly difficult task with many bands just happy to settle for the publicity that it generates. First Music Contact in conjunction with HMV are looking to change that with a brand new initiative, the Breaking Tunes Stage.
Going forward it means that every Saturday there will be a live show taking place in the top floor of HMV‘s branch in Donegal Arcade, Belfast. Great news for local music fans as they get to see the best local talent for free, and a win for the bands as they get paid for their short set and also have the opportunity to sell merchandise to any of the attendees. The Oh Yeah Music Centre naturally has a hand in this and will offer support to participating bands to help them develop their talents and business sense.
This great scheme kicked off last week with a special in-store appearance by Go Wolf, who were more than worthy of the debut slot. For a shop the purpose built live area has a good sound system and the area itself has a nice chilled out vibe; certainly worth checking out if you’re in Belfast on a Saturday afternoon.
The second show is Saturday 24th May and features the supremely talented VerseChorusVerse. This will be one of only two NI shows this summer. But if you can’t make it to Belfast he will be playing a special show in Derry’s The Scullery cafe with August and Jessica Doherty on Friday 23rd May.
UPDATE: How to Apply
We received quite a few messages asking how bands could apply for this wonderful opportunity, after some digging we found you some answers.
To qualify you must
1) have an up to date Breakingtunes profile with music (Apply through the ‘Opportunities’ section on your dashboard)
2) have an upcoming commercial release (EP or Album only, singles do not qualify)
3) have stock for sale, you must have a barcode and at least 100 copies.
4) From the list of outlets you must select which stores you want to be stocked in. ( We will send you this AND your purchase order form when you are offered an instore and it must be returned to HMV 14 days before your instore)
5) be available ( we know that sounds obvious but trust us, it’s worth pointing out)
6) tweet about your instore